Tweet

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

How Are Your Kidneys? Albuquerque Beer Week Day 6

Today seems to be the day for Beer Week events. Lotta shit poppin all over the city, so there's really no excuse for you to be home cuddled with a pillow watching The Notebook or some shit. But before I hit you with the today, I'ma give you a brief review of the one event I made yesterday.


I managed to steal a half hour from being a father to and run down to Sister Bar in downtown Albuquerque. If you live in Albuquerque, like beer, and have paid homage to this place, shoot yourself in the throat. The beer selection here is cray, like OD cray. I came in for the Odell Invasion which was gonna be Amuste, Nitro Lugene, and some others on tap, but the crackhead in me saw too many good drugs up there on tap. There was Sierra Nevada's Ovila Quad (fuego), Stone's Old Guardian, a buncha Oskar Blues, mad European brews, just a gang of heat.
Sister Bar tap list.
Sister Bar taps.

Still, I'm focused, so I tried the Amuste first, especially since I been seeing this at Jubilation for months but haven't copped cuz that $20+ pricetag is kinda looking like gold prices or some shit. This beer was dope though, I'm not sure if twenty dollars a pop dope, but still. The nose was all porter, smoke and malt heavy, but when I tasted it this gave way to a heavy grape/wine taste and sweetness. I felt like I was drinking a half barleywine/porter or something.

Then came the Nitro Lugene, which took a while to get to me cuz it seemed the bartenders were still learning how to pour that Nitro status. This beer's official already, but Nitro took it next level. Shit was just creamy as hell like drinking a chocolate shake. Again, fuegoooo.

Odell Amuste.
As for the event itself, Odell Invasion, it wasn't much more than the taps. Sister Bar was basically empty except for a beer drinkers group gathered in the corner, so event really ain't the right name. It was just the tapping of some dope beers and dassit.

Now for today, I'll tell you right now I'ma be at Marble Brewery for this Food Truck Rumble (Time: 4 to 8PM) they got planned. Four (though I heard rumors of five) food trucks giving a sampling of a signature dish paired with Marble beers. This gon be the joint for a lot of reasons. Shit is at Marble with its outdoor patio, so that's ill. Then you got live music so this a REAL FUCKING EVENT, not just some new beers on tap pretending to be an event. Plus, The Supper Truck gonna be participating and their Shrimp and Grits I'd chop a toe off for. Straight fire. As for the beers, you'll definitely get a Marble Triple (which is whatever, I covered my opinion on Belgians here) and the Marble IIPA (which is crack). Anyways, my homie Howie from Yelp is one of the organizers so shout it to him.

Then there's a few tastings/tappings around town:

Abita Tasting at Quarter's on Wyoming (Time: 4 to 7PM)- For twenty bucks you get to try SUPPOSEDLY all Abita styles, plus food and take home a souvenir glass. Abita ain't no beer I'd go out my way for, nor is Quarter's food, so I'm good bruh bruhs.

Stone Brewing at O'Niell's Nob Hill (Time: 5 to 7PM)- Stone's a great brewery and I drop a lot of my daughter's future college fund on their brews, but I wouldn't bother with this. O'Niell's be like a retirement home most days when it's not just straight up dead. Plus, the samples be looking more like servings of medicine in a manicomio, so yeah, fuck this shit.

Left Hand Brewing The Sister Double IPA tapping at Two Fools (Time: Taps at 5PM)- Left Hand got some heat in their lineup, so this could be worth checking. Supposedly reps will be on hand to talk about the beer, but personally I don't wanna hear that shit. I wanna drink the beer and be on my way, so that's what I might do AFTER the rumble, on some in and out status.

Widmer Special Release Kill Devil Brown at Fox & Hound (Time: 5PM tapping)- I've never been to this bar so I won't pass judgment, but again, this sounds more like a beer on tap than an event. But I gotta give it up to Widmer for this beer, here's the description from abqbeerweek.com:

Kill Devil Brown Ale's flavor come from the use of ingredients traditionally used by Caribbean distillers. Sweet Barbados and Blackstrap Molasses provide touches of toasted sugar, black licorice and blackened toffee while the palm sugars invite notes of subtle sweetness. As the beer conditions in Puerto Rican rum barrels, the vanilla and subtle oak flavors and aromas develop and integrate with the Calypso hops' soft tropical and stone fruit aromas.

Ayo, shit sounds delicious. But I'll wait till I can cop it in stores.

Beers of the World Flight at Sister Bar (Time: 5-8PM)- Damn, this actually looks offish. $12 gets you five samples and then a pint of your favorite and the beers include: Sunner Kolsch, La Trappe Witte Trappist, Gavroche Red Ale, Petrus Aged Pale Ale and Hobgoblin English Ale. I've had most of these, so I woulda liked some different beers, but this a good deal. Plus, Sister claims to be tapping a beer for this event that is never available in New Mexico, so I might have to make a pit stop pre-Food Truck Rumble.

There some other tastings around town that been going steady so if you been paying attention you'll know where to check.

Finally, what up with some followers on Facebook (click here) and Twitter and shit (@albrewquerque). And why is the Instagram presence so weak out here in Albuquerque. I been hitting that #AbqBeerWeek hard but seem to be alone. We need to rep our fucking city like champs and let people know we don't play out here when it comes to our beer drinking.

Duke city bitch, Duke, Duke city bitch.

No comments :

Post a Comment