Tweet

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

ABQ Beer Week Day Six--- I Respect That

Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA at Two Fools
Have you been a good beer drinker this Albuquerque Beer Week? I've been trying, but it turns out it's hard as a mufucka to go out drinking every night of the week. I ain't really bout that life apparently. But I do try, which is why I managed to sneak my way into Two Fools Tavern last night close to 10PM just to get a taste of Odell's Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA (more from Beer Advocate here). Now, that  name's longer than a Spielberg flick and I can't repeat it twice with out saying Peach Shaker or thee sthnaker or some shit, but I'ma let that slide cuz this beer's official. Oficial, en espanol. Hoppy aroma lets you know they didn't get soft in the brewery and target this to the Shock Top crowd. Nah papa. This beer's got some punch to it. And if you read my post yesterday you know I was a bit worried about whether Odell just took the easy route and threw some peach syrup or some shit in the mix, but my understanding is this some real, local Colorado peaches. I respect that (pervert from Sons of Anarchy voice). And those peaches do some wonders, cuz this beer's got all types of sweet peachiness that blends well with the citrusy character of the hops. It's easy drinking despite the high alcohol content.


I respect that.

So what to get into today? Much like yesterday ain'ta whole lot poppin. But there's beer and that's most important.

The biggies today:

Il Vicino Special Tapping at Two Fools Tavern (Time: 5PM onwards)- Ayo, Two Fools been putting in work this Beer Week. They seem to have the most events and most of them been worth checking out. Today's involves Il Vicino bringing two Irish brews, Irish Red and Irish Lager, for a special tapping. The first of these two will be on cask and if you ain't tried a beer in this way, at room temperature with low carbonation, it been about time you try.

Taps and Apps at Hotel Andaluz (Time: 5PM onwards)- Food and beer, my type of event. Basically you get four appetizers paired with four beers from La Cumbre, Bosque, Marble and Il Vicino. This could be a decent stop and at $25 not too bad, assuming you get a full pour with each app. But given dumbasses out here in New Mexico don't know how to act, can't handle their liquor and love to jump behind the wheel, most places can't give that fourth drink, so I guess this must be samples. Anyways, here's the full menu courtesy of abqbeerweek.com :

La Cumbre:
Strawberry & Arugula Salad with honey red onions & goat cheese- paired with Hefe

Marble:
Chimichurrie Grilled Prawns- paired with Marble Triple

Bosque Brewing:
Fried Lavosh chip topped with arugula, black fig, & topped with chilie sugar cured duck breast- paired with Scotia Scotch Ale

Il Vicino:
Artisan Baguette topped with herbed ricotta chees and sherried mushrooms- paired with Irish Red

 
Odell Takeover at Sister Bar (Time: 5-8PM)-
Ayo, this that event, boy. Sister's a dope spot anyways, being mad spacious, having live bands, and a damn good selection of beers in bottles and on tap. Today they gonna have Amuste, Nitro Lugene, Nitro Porter, Myrcenary and Seasonal Red Ale on tap. Ayo, nitro, you read that right, Nitro. That's reason enough, as is the Amuste, which be selling for like $23 a bottle at Jubilation, so I think I needa hit this event and see if I can get a goblet for something cheaper. That or I'ma have to do a drink and dash. Now, Sister Bar got that hipster element to it, so be prepared to see at least one dude wearing a train conductor's outfit.
Beyond this, you got a Sierra Nevada sampling at O'Niell's and the Lips of Faith pairing at Gecko's and the Sunner Kolsch at Desert Fish going on, so there's beer to be drank.

No comments :

Post a Comment