Tweet

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Albuquerque Beer Week Day 3

Time is limited here cuz I gotta get to drinking soon before daddy duties and other obligations prevent me from partaking in Beer Week related events.

Right out the gate I can tell you what bullshit not to waste your time with, starting with the tasting at Total Wine. I have no clue what they'll be sampling and I might eat my words if it's some super exclusive shit that you can't find in New Mexico, but my money's on it being some shit I could get at Jubilation any day of the week. My beef with TW from day one has been that they really ain't bringing anything new to the state so as far as I'm concerned they're just a big name. So yeah, fuck Total Wine and their event.

Other than that, there are a few things worth checking:

Beer Tour Festival at Nexus Brewery (Time-11 to 1 for tours, others beyond)- Yo, Nexus is a cool little spot and they be dropping some gems from time to time, like a great Brown in the fall, Barleywine this past winter, and that Imperial Creme. According to their FB page, these cats are doing not just 3 tours of their brewery from 11 to 1 (this brewery ain't that big so I can't imagine what the hell gone take that long), but also some Native American homage. A group called Dawa will be performing and they'll have fried bread and other Native goodies. RIGHT NOW, LEMME JUST GO ON RECORD SAYING I FUCK WITH NEXUS FOR BEING PROBABLY THE ONLY MINORITY-OWNED AND OPERATED BREWERY IN NEW MEXICO. Craft beer often seems the world of hipster white dudes, but there's really plenty of people of all colors seeking great beer. So yeah, this is worth checking today.

Perfect Pet Pub Class at Tractor Taproom Nob Hill (Time: Noon to 1)- I guess if I had a dog this might be cool, but yo, this beer week yo, not fucking dog week. And Tractor already on that suspect list with a lot of weak ass beers that I wouldn't recommend even to a Bud drinker as a primer to craft beer. But I will concede that I had the chocolate porter or stout (can't remember which it was and generally don't give a fuck) recently and that shit was fire. But I still won't be checking this cuz I'm about beer ya heard.

Il Vicino Double Barrel Beer tapping (Time: Noon to 5)- Yeah, this my shit right here. I love this brewery, really do. I like how spacious it is compared to some of these fucking breweries and love that I can always count on them to have NFL games on Sundays. Plus, their beer is just the truth. Odin's Red was bananas, ditto that milk chocolate cherry stout, and that CRAP, and I could go on and on.

But yo, they tapping two Belgians, a blonde aged in Cabernet barrels and a dark aged in bourbon barrels, so I'm hype for this. I still have a great memories of the St. Bob's Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout from around Christmastime, so I'm confident these cats are going to get it right again. This starts at noon, so that's why I need to get showered and be the fuck out.

Anderson Valley Brewing tasting at Jubilation (Time: 2 to 4)- I'm disappointed they're not bringing any new beers, but Anderson Valley got some heat so this is worth checking. They'll be at Jubie's from 2 to 4, so you can hit this before or after your trip to IVC like I'ma do and be a happy man.

Of course, Gecko's still doing their thing, as is Desert Fish, so if you really feeling uninspired hit those. Oh, and Turtle Mountain is sampling Goose Island's Sofie, which for me is just ridiculous on so many levels. First off, Sofie been available for ever, second why the fuck a brewery sampling other mufucka's beer and it ain't even local? Third, Turtle Mountain ain't got beer good enough to go all the way out there for. So fuck that.

No comments :

Post a Comment