Tweet

Monday, April 29, 2013

Albuquerque Beer Week Day 5

No Beer Week for me yesterday.

Fortunately, I have a stockpile of beer from my Arizona trip, from my weekly visits to Jubilation, and from just generally being a crackhead with a need when it comes to beer. I get that itch just driving by certain places. I fed my habit by cracking an Alaskan Brewing Winter Ale and Left Hand Good Juju, both of which I had for the first time. I don't care if it's spring, that Winter was dope. The spruce tips added to the brew created a sweet berry taste with a piney stickiness that felt great in my mouth, no George Takei, you feel me? The Good Juju is laced with ginger and the smell and taste are dominated by it, though it's not a bad thing. I could sip one occasionally but wouldn't go out of my way for this. This beer's kinda like that girl you got in your contacts but don't call until you've been rejected by a few others first.

Anyways, I would've liked to hear some bluegrass at Marble Brewery yesterday, but asi es la vida.

On to today, Day 5 in this glorious week of excuses to drink more beer. Here's what's poppin:

Marble Brewery Beer and Cheese Pairing (Time: 4 to 7PM)- I've already posted about this a few days ago so I'll let you bums scroll down a few and do some heavy lifting. But this should be awite. I mean, I'd prefer some barbecue or some burgers or tacos or some shit a little more filling, but I've never objected to cheese. I guess my big concern with this event is what type of herbs such an event might attract. I never been to a wine and cheese party and there's a reason why: I'd probably have to choke out one dude for describing why my view on dealing with all the bums that line Central (get them the eff outta here) is Hobbesian or Lockesian or whatever the fuck, then I'd have to smack some other dude for insisting that there really isn't a classic American novel, some other mamaguevo would just be looking at me contemptuously with his waxed moustache and Paul Bunyan outfit and then I'd just have to hope a stray bullet hit me and put me out of my misery. Marble Brewery, can you assure me I'm not gonna have to put up with the same ridiculousness? Either way, there's some good beers on tap and I'd recommend that 505-2013 while it lasts, plus The Abbey, the Stout Americano and The Double White. Rock solid beers to steal a quote from the Marble heads.

Five Star Burgers Sliders and Suds (Time 6 to 9PM)- I was just talking about burgers and fwakata! here's a burger and beer event. This could be good. La Cumbre Elevated IPA, Marble Stout and Wheat, and Monk's Wit (brewed up at the monastery by Abiquiu, for those that don't know, now you know, ninjas) paired with different sliders. According to the ABQ Beer Week site, it's three different burgers (green chile, greek, and Taos) and jalapeno caps and 5 ounce samples of the beers for $20. Pretty sweet deal actually. Only problem, I have no idea where this Five Star is---I hit B2B on Central for my burger and beer fix---so I'ma check the Yelp link here.

Yeah, so this is at Wyoming and Academy which is the sticks to me, but if you live up near the mountains, you may wanna check this.

Other than that, it's mostly just tastings around town:

Deschutes is doing a sampling at O'Niell's Nob Hill, which could be cool if they were bringing The Abyss , but chances are it's just gonna be the same shit you see around town any day of the week. Plus, I went about a month ago for a Rogue sampling and it was the most pinche samplings outside of a Total Wine store I'd ever seen.

Two Fools will be tapping Odell's Treeshaker Imperial Peach IPA, which sounds cool if not being the biggest gimmick in New Mexico since that other brewery started slapping "Isotopes" and "Alien" all over their beers to turn them into the Disney World of New Mexico craft beer. I'm all for adventurous beers, but are you just throwing some liquid peach flavoring in the mix or using real peaches? Cheap bastards.

Of course, Sunner is still on tap at Desert Fish, Gecko's still has the Lips of Faith taps, and Nob Hill Bar and Grill still has the Lips of Faith Smores Porter on tap, so if you need a beer, this ain't the prohibition era.

Finally, a reminder that the one event you don't wanna miss is the Blues and Brews Festival on Saturday to sample a ton of beers and hear---surprise, mothafuckas!!!---blues music. Also, if you Twitter and Instagram savvy, follow @albrewquerque to stay in the loop or like the Albrewquerque Facebook page.

Hasta la proxima, cabrones.

No comments :

Post a Comment